Tuesday, July 8, 2008

It's a small world after all

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines technology as "the practical application of knowledge especially in a particular area". Definition or not, we can't argue about the fact that technology has indeed broken all barriers, geographical or otherwise. Very complex things is made to look simple (though it ain't!!!). We all love to send sms... I love to send group sms though. Though SMS is an acronym for Short Messaging Service, to me it means Simply Message Send maadi :-) During my tenure at my previous company, I was (un)fortunate to see the actual code of the SMS protocol. Believe me... you wouldn't send an SMS if you saw how complex the architecture is. And SMS is a baby compared to Calls. But its simple to use and that's the beauty of technology.

Just now, I had a first-hand experience of how technology has changed our lives. "I am just a call away" really isn't applicable only to neighbours. My close friend who is currently pursuing his M.Sc abroad asked me to give a book to his cousin and gave me her number too. I forgot to take that number with me and went to his cousin's house. I realized I had no number... hmmm... what to do now??? I called my friend and told him to tell his cousin that I am waiting outside her house. Within 20 seconds, she came out and picked the book from me. 20 seconds is all it took for the message to pass from India ---> abroad ---> India. Its that simple. Hats off to all those who slog to make our lives simpler and simpler.

It really is a small world after all...

1 comment:

Big Foot said...

with a blog title like that I was expecting something more than a first standard english textbook chapter ...